Becky's Big Adventure

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

At Site Now- And God It's Hot

Alright now I am at site and it is the hottest month of the year in Thailand... My room is approx. 95 degrees when I go up there for the night (other than the other night when it was 80 and I was freezing, Jacki's reaction to that was "Oh my god you are one of those people now") Yes, yes I am. I am living with yet another family since the house I want is currently being rented, I have been told it will become available in the next month or two so cross your fingers everybody I cant wait to live by myself, mostly because I have been living in other peoples houses for the past 3 monthes and I would like to make my house an american space if possible and a place where i dont have to speak thai constantly.

I have made a good friend at site already her name is An and she works at the government office where i work, she is the one with the most patience so we were forced to sit with each other and talk (with a lot of help from the thai/english dictionary that Peace Corps gave me and another one the office bought) we have dictionary races were she says something and I tell her the word i dont understand and then we see who can find it first An is usually the winner

Let's see... i spent the week before coming here in Bangkok and i have some conclusions about that city, it is loud, noisy, and expensive for someone living on a Peace Corps budget, but the water taxi is beautiful and there are so many malls i felt like i was at home, I am not a huge fan of bangkok, especially since there are so many amazing places to visit in this country but if anyone comes to visit and wants to go i will (just for you)

My boss at the government office wants me to get permission from him before I go anywhere, but i have a feeling that will end soon, and my counterpart wants to follow me on my bike in his car so that i will be safe, I hope that will end soon too, I have had about 7 invitations from old women to come and live with them/ come to dinner, and An doesnt want me to move to my own house because i will be too far away from her and i wont be able to come to dinner everynight (even though i will be just down the street only in the opposite direction of where i am now and i will probably come to dinner everynight anyway) all of these are just examples of the fact that this community is very protective of me already and i have only been here a week, so family, dont worry about me too much, even though i know you are going to anyway

Now I would like to thank bigfo and bereheiko for looking at/posting to my blog, it was so nice to see you guys took the time to see what i have been doing, it has not been easy (in fact it has been the hardest thing i have ever done) being here like this and i really appreciate it

Alright
Peace out
I love and miss everybody
Becky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home